Glen Albyn distillery was a Scottish whisky distillery located in the city of Inverness, in the north of Scotland. Founded in 1844, the distillery operated until 1983 when it was closed due to economic difficulties.
The distillery was situated in a prime location, close to the Caledonian Canal and Inverness Harbour, which facilitated the transportation of raw materials and the export of the finished product. The water used in the production of Glen Albyn whisky was drawn from the nearby River Ness, which is known for its purity and freshness. Glen Albyn was notable for its uniquely shaped worm tubs, which were shaped into the letter D with the flat side down to cool the spirit quickly. It was also one of the first distilleries to introduce Saladin box maltings, along with its neighbor, Glen Mhor.
Glen Albyn whisky was highly regarded for its delicate, fruity character and smooth finish. The distillery produced a range of single malt whiskies, aged for varying lengths of time in oak casks, as well as a number of blended whiskies.
Although the distillery is no longer in operation, its legacy lives on in the form of rare and highly sought-after bottles of Glen Albyn whisky. A handful of independent bottlings also exist though have become exceedingly rare.